systemd and changes

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu Aug 26 10:36:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:08:27AM +0000, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Till Maas, Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:15:20 +0200:
> > Does it support setting "ip rule" commands if an interface is up?
> > http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/settings-
> spec-08.html
>
> I am not sure I know what you mean (I am not that great netadmin), but I
> a lot things can be done with scripts in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/

Where is the documentation about this if it is not the link I posted?
E.g. a lot of the old system is documented at:
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt

> > Did not show this. And it seems not to be able to create tun or tap
> > devices, which requires only a small ifup-tun script with the old
> > system.
>
> > With the old network service it was still possible to manually use
> > iwconfig and wpa-supplicant and therefore WPA. Or to create a OpenVPN
> > tunnel, which I would prefer more than using WPA in terms of security.
> > But with NetworkManager running, the command line tools usually do not
> > work as expected.
>
> NetworkManager-openvpn works great here and yes it does create tun0.

I am pretty sure, that it is openvpn that creates tun0 only when it is
called. But it is possible to create tun or tap devices before openvpn
is open and they can even have pretty arbitrary names.

Regards
Till