drop default MTA for Fedora 15

Krzysztof Halasa khc at pm.waw.pl
Thu Aug 26 18:30:18 UTC 2010

Jon Masters <jonathan at jonmasters.org> writes:

> What's the benefit of having no default MTA at all? Is it that Desktop
> users don't care about MTAs being installed? what about those of us who
> care more about server installations than Desktop?

I have desktops with no MTA. I can read mail on them using remote
pop3/imap (with ssh), sending mail also uses ssh and /usr/sbin/sendmail
on remote machine. Alternatively, SMTP to a smarthost. Plays nicely with
e.g. Emacs/Gnus.

There is absolutely no need for a local MTA there.

On my servers the "default" MTA doesn't matter either, I'm using
a specific program rather than a random default.
--
Krzysztof Halasa