Orphaned package: system-config-display

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Aug 26 20:31:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 15:59 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Uh…
> >> 1. Not everyone uses GNOME.
> >
> > Demonstrably true, but I don't see how it's relevant.
>
> You suggested `gnome-display-properties`, which is a gnome tool with
> gnome package dependencies.

I can respond to this on at least two levels.  I guess I'll do both.
(Throughout, I'm using "you" in the second person, and am not referring
to Arthur or anyone else in particular.)

So on the one level, you can feel free to read gnome-display-properties
there as a placeholder for whatever the equivalent tool is in your DE of
choice.  lxrandr or krandrtray or whatever.  I mean, that's the tool
that one uses to configure display settings memory within the session,
so it makes sense to serialize from that - from the state of "okay I got
it the way I want it" - to xorg.conf.

But on the other level, the implication is that Fedora as a project is
somehow compelled to provide generic, desktop-agnostic ways of
accomplishing this kind of task.  Which is a futile endeavor,
philosophically, since s-c-d involved pulling in all of pygtk to begin
with, and if you've got a toolkit phobia up front then I don't really
see why gtk would be acceptable but libgnome-desktop wouldn't.  And
moreover it's inevitably wasted effort since every DE of any worth
_will_ eventually have a competent display config tool.

Now maybe you disagree with that second point.  Maybe you _do_ think
Fedora has that obligation.  Great!  By all means, please pick up s-c-d
and run with it.  I'm just saying, I'm done with it, and I think it's a
bad solution regardless of which DE you're using.

- ajax