fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Fri Aug 27 22:59:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 18:00 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Jon Masters wrote:

> > But I feel it is "design by committee" now, just the Open Source
> > version. A small group of people (f-d-l and similar) arbitrarily decide
> > what the userbase "wants" without asking them, and based on what they
> > would like to see in the distribution themselves.
>
> I said something similar at the board meeting today.  I think "designed"
> isn't the right word.  I don't think we have any designs we're following
> at all.  It's just engineered.  Fedora literally just comes to being
> without any thought or design of a coherent whole.  All focus is on the
> pieces.  We're just seeing trees, not the forest.

Exactly. It's like Bugzilla - all individual components and no cohesion.
We need to have more of a notion of cross-component interaction. When
proposals are introduced that are cool - like systemd is - then they can
be reviewed and integrated in the context of the overall distribution,
rather than an itch someone had to scratch. And if that means things
sometimes take longer to get in (but are better integrated), so be it.

I'd personally like to see some teams created that deal with
cross-functional parts of the distribution and are more use-case focused
than focused on specific silos. There is no "Desktop", because there is
integration between that and the bowels of the system. There is no
"kernel" because it integrates with udev, systemd, and other pieces.

Jon.