fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 23:09:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Bob Arendt <rda at rincon.com> wrote:
> Actually I think Fedora *should* articulate who the users are, basically
> design and express who and what Fedora is designed for.
<snip>
> I think it would be much better for Fedora to decide what it *should* be,
> specifically what the Fedora userspace should be, and excel at that.

You have contradicted yourself a little bit here. And maybe its a
language barrier so I'll be explicit.

Who the users are now and who our users should be are not necessarily
the same group. Polling our current user-base doesn't necessarily help
us define who are users should be. And similarly polling our current
user-base doesn't necessarily help us identify what we need to do
better to better find and serve the users who should be using Fedora.
Nor does it necessarily help us focus on the needs on any particular
group that currently exists. We have some users who want A. We have
some users who want B. That's what a survey will tell us, it won't
help us judge the value of A relative to the value of B as a focus.

-jef