fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Aug 29 04:20:01 UTC 2010

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> The first mistake we did was trying to label end user since it's not up
> to the project in whole to decide which end user type it's target.
>
> It's should be up to individual community SIG's to decide what user base
> they are targeting and the form they will present that to the end user
> in live cd or a predefined installation option be it with the latest and
> greatest bits of their product or a not which may or may not be
> influenced from feed backs from the micro community they have
> established around the product they ship.

+1. I couldn't agree more. We really need to give more decision power to
SIGs and accept that different Fedora spins will have different target user
bases. There's no one size that fits it all.

> The Fedora project in whole should give equal access to those bits and
> devote equal amount of marketing resources to promote them.
>
> Simply allow the casual user that walks in the Fedora garden to pick
> what ever fruit he chooses that grew from the labour of the community to
> taste and enjoy.
>
> Unfortunately that is not how things are being done in the Fedora garden
> today instead we force one vision ( Desktop ) and with one DE ( Gnome )
> which greatly overshadows all the good work that's being done in other
> corners in the lcommunity like in server applications and KDE XFCE and
> LXDE and willingly or unwilling hinder the growth in the micro community
> around those Desktop Environment, hiding them like some rotten apples
> from infested tree in a shed in the back yard.

Strong +1 there too. I've been complaining about this kind of second-class
treatment for everything not GNOME for a while.

> It's going to be interesting to see if we ever reach the point when a
> end users would like to search for a certain application for a certain
> task he needs to perform and the only application he's offered will be
> the Gnome ones.

Yuck! That's indeed a very scary perspective! Yet I could see it happening.
:-(

        Kevin Kofler