fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 05:46:31 UTC 2010

  On 08/28/2010 09:40 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> I know it's not a comfortable thing to deal with, I know I'm not super
> happy about it but Fedora exists almost entirely because RH wills it to.
> If RH decided Fedora should go away, it would.  You could fork, have a
> mess of a time getting infrastructure, and get that fork going but that
> wouldn't be Fedora, it'd be something else.

Well my main concern is exactly what you have stated "If RH decide
Fedora should go away it would" in other words "You exist only because
we allow you to exist"
The former is a pretty strong statement the latter is my own
interpretation of what you just stated.

> We tried to turn Fedora into an independent legal entity with multiple
> stakeholders and there was almost 0 support in terms of funding for it
> (Google: Fedora Foundation).  Bottom line, when Red Hat tried to give
> Fedora to the community, the community wasn't there to take it.  All you
> can do is trust RH to do the right thing, know we'll make mistakes from
> time to time and know that those of us that were volunteers that have now
> been lucky enough to be hired on to do it full time (myself included) are
> looking out for Fedora's best interest, not a paycheck.
Times change and people with it and I'm willing to put money were my
mouth is. So let's separate the infrastructure to a neutral ground,
let's find a good place to host the community on. I don't have much to
spare but I'm willing to give it all I got it's not like I have not I've
invested far to much of my time and other things in the project so far..

JBG