fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 19:53:54 UTC 2010

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:43:16 +0200, you wrote:

>2010/8/29 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>:
>> Jesse Keating wrote:
>>> The cynic in me would expect that the people who want something different
>>> than the fire hose we have now are silently leaving, and those that are
>>> left are going to say they like the deluge of updates.
>>
>> You say that as if it were a negative thing. It's actually very positive, it
>> means we have found our niche and set some very specific expectations in our
>> user base! We should stick to that and not suddenly turn around half-turn.
>>

>Absolutely. For example, often criticized "having many updates" is
>IMHO a good thing, since it's really nice to see new git or new gnash
>without upgrading to pre-release version.

And how would you feel it the upgrade to git, or some other software,
caused you to lose days of time at work/home because something changed
that breaks your workflow?

If packagers are allowed to update packages when they want, what is
the difference between a released version and rawhide?

Users need the ability to assume that when they install a released
version of Fedora to use on their server/workstation/laptop that they
will be able to do their work, whether personal or at an office,
without the fear that applying an update will break their system.

If you reall need a newer version of git, gnash, or any other software
and your really can't wait the less than 6 months to the next release
then you have the option of risking breakage by installing it yourself
(either through compiling or trying a rawhide package).  But don't
assume that everyone else wishes to take those same risks.