Search Engine Proposal

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Aug 29 20:21:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 15:07:51 -0500
Manuel Escudero <Jmlevick at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/8/29 Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com>

...snip...

> > We have a free software policy, while we continue to revise it,
> > google's search engine is clearly against that policy:
> >

> > http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/csi/free-software-policy/en-US/html-single/
>
> AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN... http://start.fedoraproject.org/ is using
> a Google Search Box... YOU DON'T HAVE THE CODE TO PLAY WITH IT OR
> ANYTHING... With "Fedora's engine" I'm giving you the chance of
> having something more "opensource" and also more specific and useful
> for the fedora users...

I appreciate that you are working up ideas here to improve things. :)
Please do keep that up.

However, as others have pointed out, the only reason the start page is
using google right now is a old historical accident. We should change
it.

There was a thread on the advisory board list not long back about
doing that... changing it to the front page of fedoraproject.org or
some kind of fedora news site. I think exploring those directions
would be more productive. Perhaps the websites team could weigh in on
what kinds of things would be better than what we have now?

I would like to see things like:

- Information on how to join fedora.
- Info on how to get help with your fedora install.
- Important news in the fedora world
- Perhaps a view of the current planet feed or something?

I don't think a search engine is that usefull as most browsers have a
search function, and a boring search engine box will make most people
just change the page to something they use more.

All just my 2c worth.

kevin