Orphaned package: system-config-display

François Cami fdc-lists at fcami.net
Sun Aug 29 21:02:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 13:32 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> > 3. What if you can't bring up X in the first place? (You can't run gnome-
>> > display-properties if you can't get into X. system-config-display --reconfig
>> > was a way to fix such problems.)
>>
>> That's an X bug. File a bug.
>
> You're being obtuse. Being able to recover from a bug is important,
> unless we're living in la-la land and assuming we'll never create any
> more bugs ever again. They don't get fixed instantly.
>
>> Also, an RFE: X should back out and use VESA if the auto-detected, or
>> configured, driver fails after 3 attempts instead of attempting to start
>> 30 times and failing 30 times. A desktop notification should be
>> triggered that says "Hey! X failed and you're using a basic video driver
>> - please file a bug <button to Abrt>". Worst case, if vesa fails, it
>> should dump to a text console and notify the user as such.
>
> Agreed.

Sorry to be late to the fray, but I'm not sure this would work in all
cases. If we already have modesetting (nouveau or radeon for
instance), and if the relevant DDX fails, vesa isn't going to work
either, if I remember correctly... In this case, the best we can do is
to notify the user, if the screen is at all usable.

François