fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Sven Lankes sven at lank.es
Mon Aug 30 19:56:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 03:09:06PM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> Fedora is being ruined by this kind of behavior. You can have progress,
> cutting edge, etc. without having to be unstable and unpredictable in
> the process.

A lot has been done in the last couple of months in that direction.
Proventesters and no more updates directly to stable are there now,
repos.fpo is gaining traction and AutoQA is hopefully coming real
soon now too.

Compared to the F7 - F13 timeframe these are already quite intrusive
changes.

How about giving it a release to see how those changes work out before
pushing for even more radical changes?

Also - and this is a question that I have asked myself and others a
couple of times - if you could implement Fedora the way you want: What
unique selling points are left for Fedora? "Fedora is Ubuntu with rpm"
sounds about as bad as "Fedora is broken most of the time" (not that I
feel it is).

> As I've said, on systems not directly connected I just don't bother
> doing updates ever. I suspect before too long some effort will get
> formed to do a more stable version of Fedora

Don't we already have that in F n-1?

sven === jabber/xmpp: sven at lankes.net