fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Sven Lankes sven at lank.es
Mon Aug 30 21:18:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 04:01:25PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:

> I guess I've never been concerned about "unique selling points".  Why
> should it be "Fedora is Ubuntu with RPM", instead of "Ubuntu is Fedora
> with DEB"?  IIRC Fedora came first (and certainly RHL came before
> Ubuntu, although Debian was little before RHL).

That doesn't matter much. Ubuntu is where the users are.

> Why do we need to be concerned about being similar to or different from
> Ubuntu?

For me that question is interesting because selling Fedora is what I do
at FLOSS-events as a Fedora ambassador and 'what is the difference to
ubuntu' is the number one question.

This should certainly not affect the direction we're taking with Fedora
as it's marketing and marketing needs to market whatever is there - but
I still find the question interesting.

sven === jabber/xmpp: sven at lankes.net