fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Mon Aug 30 21:17:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 23:11 +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:

> Now, if we Fedora should be a distribution that developers enjoy using,
> there will be an updates firehose - and most developers won't mind too
> much.  If Fedora should be a distribution that developers can install on
> their grandparents' computers, developers won't enjoy working on the
> distribution so much - both because this requires bureaucracy, and
> because the result is not as interesting a distribution - and either the
> quality and size of the distribution will suffer, or there will have to
> be another motivation for many people to participate.

Why does it have to be one or the other? There are ways to do both with
vitualization, separate stream of packages, multiple versions of the
same thing. Who knows what else. The point is, nobody is saying you
can't take a stable base and add in more recent bits for your area of
interest if six months really is too long for you to wait.

Jon.