fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 21:33:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Sven Lankes <sven at lank.es> said:
>> Also - and this is a question that I have asked myself and others a
>> couple of times - if you could implement Fedora the way you want: What
>> unique selling points are left for Fedora? "Fedora is Ubuntu with rpm"
>> sounds about as bad as "Fedora is broken most of the time" (not that I
>> feel it is).
>
> I guess I've never been concerned about "unique selling points".  Why
> should it be "Fedora is Ubuntu with RPM", instead of "Ubuntu is Fedora
> with DEB"?  IIRC Fedora came first (and certainly RHL came before
> Ubuntu, although Debian was little before RHL).

Because people seem to identify Ubuntu with what is being described.

> Why do we need to be concerned about being similar to or different from
> Ubuntu?

Well for one, if there is nothing different mission wise between
Fedora and Ubuntu, but Ubuntu gets more attention from desktop users,
then people might as well just all use Ubuntu.

I'm not sure that there is room for a "Coke vs. Pepsi" in Linux
distros. A "fruit juice vs. soda" seems more useful.

--
Fedora 13
(www.pembo13.com)