rawhide rocks! [was Re: fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)]

darrell pfeifer darrellpf at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 23:30:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 15:56, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:11:06PM +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > A typical developer wants the dependencies of the software they are
> > working on to be _very_ up to date - probably not the upstream
> > development version, but the upstream maintenance version with _all_
> > current bug fixes.  Waiting 6 months for a bug fix does not make sense -
> > at that point the developer would be tempted to build the new version
> > locally.
> [...]
> > Saying "use rawhide" is not helpful, because rawhide is very often
> > broken.
>
> I've been running rawhide as my primary desktop OS at work for a couple of
> years now. During that time, it's only broken so as to cause me as much as
> couple of hours work twice. That seems like a small price to pay for being
> on the extreme leading edge as you describe.
>
> And now with the "no frozen rawhide" feature, I expect it to be even more
> stable.

I've moved from being a rawhide junkie to a koji junkie. I've been in that
mode for the last five or six years. My experience has been that rawhide is
most unstable just around alpha time.

There are typically lots of regressions in rawhide. I can expect that
(suspend/resume, printing, usb key mounting, X, compix, control panels, et
al) are broken on a regular basis.

Maybe we should start a self-help group for those of us with this
affliction. I'm more surprised that the package owners haven't found a
better way to make use of us yet.

I choose to live with the regressions. Most users of Fedora are probably
interested in a far more stable system.

darrell