LUKS open / mount order

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Tue Aug 31 12:28:31 UTC 2010

Hi,

While experimenting using an USB stick with a keyfile for a LUKS
filesystem (not one of the basic ones), I found out this actually
seems to work, but I'm not sure of this "by design" or just
accidentally.

In rc.sysinit, the stick (in fstab with UUID) is mounted and later
the luksOpen seems to be done for the encrypted partition, using
the keyfile on the stick.  The encrypted partition is not mounted
in rc.sysinit (luksOpen was done too late it seems), but it is now
mounted in the "netfs" init script (!).

Is this all "by design" and is this the recommended way of using
LUKS with keyfiles on USB sticks (which can be something useful in
certain environmnents)?

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>