fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Aug 31 15:30:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 08:54 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 22:47 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 22:33 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > > Where do you see somebody proposing that no updates be issued?  Where do
> > > you see somebody proposing a setup where fixing a graphics card can't be
> > > done in the stable release kernel?  You've built up a nice strawman that
> > > you've lovingly kicked down.
> >
> > It's implicit in what Jon said; I was pointing out that he was, possibly
> > inadvertently, suggesting a principle that was far too strict.
>
> IMO if hardware enablement can be done at no risk, then ok. But as Jesse

I wasn't really talking about the topic of the argument, it was more of
a meta-post on how the argument is being conducted. There's already
clearly (at least) two schools of thought and compromising between them
would be very difficult. If either or both schools start supporting
their arguments with categorical statements like "as if waiting six
months really mattered in the real world", it's only going to make it
harder. In a discussion like this it's only possible to come to a
vaguely workable compromise without everyone hating each other if you at
least acknowledge that the other point of view has some validity too,
even if it's not the one you share.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey