fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 17:26:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 09:58 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> On 08/30/2010 10:50 PM, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>> > The attention to freedom is not unique. The attention to upstream is
>> > invisible to users.
>>
>> But it is why I want to *develop* for Fedora.
>
> You cut out the rest of Arthur's email, where he says exactly the same
> thing. This isn't a point scoring exercise, please read entire emails
> before you spot a piece you think you disagree with and try to win by
> contradicting it.

Thank you for mentioning this, I was simply not going to respond to
Mr. Poplawski.

Maybe I was too long winded, or failed to communicate my point: a
stable (bug fix only updates, slow feature release), strongly FOSS,
strongly upstream seems to be what some (I am not going to make
assumptions about numbers) want. I see two problems with this:

1) the nature of such a distro would make it attractive to a smaller
percentage of the Linux community
2) the only aspect of that that would be unique is the commitment to
upstream -- something which will be appreciated by few

I'm not saying that any aspect of such a mission would be bad, just
that it would be very niche.

--
Fedora 13
(www.pembo13.com)