biosdevname hitting rawhide

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Wed Dec 1 14:00:15 UTC 2010

On 12/01/2010 07:55 AM, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 01:33:33 +0000 (UTC), Ben Boeckel wrote:
>
>> Why? FreeBSD (and other BSDs, I'm sure) have been naming network
>> interfaces based on the manufacturer, at least, for a while now (I
>> personally started with 7.x and am unsure of when that was new). I was
>> always curious why eth* was used on Linux actually.
>
> And I always thought that this was a pretty weird way to do things, after
> all, why does the userspace care who made which network card?
>
> I think I can live with the biosdevname stuff, though, after all it
> distinguishes by physical position (which as meaning) instead of vendor
> (which does not).

 Yes indeed thank you!!

 I have always found it weird whenever I upgraded a NIC on my firewall,
that I had to hand edit the udev rules to keep the firewall rules sane.
Having the name associated with the physical location is great.

 Now I can change NIC cards and not have to worry the firewall rules
will turn the DMZ into the internal side .. :-)

 Thank you!!