biosdevname hitting rawhide

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Dec 1 15:13:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 04:29:32PM -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Interesting work, Matt. I'm surprised the Unix purists who would fight
> you to death to keep sendmail on desktops would allow you to change the
> almighty eth* naming scheme.

Because it's not so almighty. In BSD-land, including Solaris, the devices
are named after the driver, so you get /dev/sis0 and /dev/bge1 and
/dev/e1000g0 and whatnot.

Really, despite your insinuation, the people who urge caution on changes to
the system are generally doing so based on meaningful experience, not
reactionaryism.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>