old_testing_critpath notifications

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Dec 1 23:22:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 16:15 -0700, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:

> > fedora-easy-karma makes it very, very easy. Have you tried it? You just
> > run it, at a console, and it detects all the packages you have installed
> > from updates-testing, gives you the description of each, and asks you to
> > provide feedback for each (or skip). It's really a one-stop. It's
> > described in the proven tester documentation, but really all you need to
> > know is 'yum install fedora-easy-karma', 'fedora-easy-karma'. It has a
> > --critpath-only parameter to show only critpath updates, if you're in a
> > hurry and just want to provide feedback on the most important updates.
>
> Well I knew of fedora-easy-karma because of that thread, however I
> didn't know it did everything I wanted. I thought it allowed you to
> easily add karma to an update you've installed... Again, even though
> fedora-easy-karma can give me a list of packages to install and test,
> this requires me to think 'hey should I run fedora-easy-karma' to see if
> any packages I'm interested in are available for testing?.. As opposed
> to the case where updates are made available via PK and I just get
> notified they are there. So if I can create a list of packages I'm
> interested in testing, or a list of packages to exclude. And it checks
> like PK does and informs me when packages need testing, great. Otherwise
> as lame as it is, I'll rarely think 'I should see if something needs
> testing'. Unless something I *need* needs testing and I know because
> I've filed the bug or am otherwise cc'd on it.

f-e-k doesn't install updates, it works with what's already installed.
the intended workflow is that you have updates-testing enabled and just
install everything that becomes available through it (so just run
regular updates with it enabled); then you run f-e-k regularly and it
figures out which of the currently installed packages come from
updates-testing and hence require karma, and asks you to provide karma
for each one in turn.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey