Proven tester signup process

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Dec 2 01:21:32 UTC 2010

> I'm not sure I'd want to go quite that far unless the sign-up process
> can wave the proven testers instructions in your face quite prominently.
> They're short and easy to read and understand, but you can't infer them
> from first principles: we do want to have people read the proven tester
> instructions before becoming proven testers. That's actually the *only*
> requirement to become a proven tester. :)

Would it be appropriate to allow anyone to become a proven tester just
by confirming they have read the instructions?  I'm an interested user
and very minor contributor, not a packager, and I have been using
updates-testing since April.  I was turned off by the approval process,
but I would probably sign up if it were automatic.  Then again, I'm not
using SELinux and don't wish to enable it at this time, so maybe you
don't want me leaving +1s.

One issue: as a proven tester, I would lose the ability to leave
non-proven-tester karma if I only have interest in testing a package to
lower standards.  (It makes me wonder what the standards for
non-proven-tester karma are assumed to be.  Is proven-testership the EV
of karma?  Heh.)

--
Matt