old_testing_critpath notifications

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Dec 2 19:48:13 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 17:32 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> We don't have an automated process for showing people the rest of the wiki
> pages with packager information either.  If we added the information to this
> page:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Review_Process
>
> after step #9, 'Request updates for Fedora release branches, if necessary,
> using "fedpkg update" or another Bodhi interface as detailed in Bodhi
> Guide_.'
>
> would that be sufficient?  It would be the same amount of information as the
> rest of the package process gets.
>
> Note that the lack of a link to the proventester information on that page is
> probably another reason that people (new people at least) don't know that
> they should join proventester.

That doesn't feel like the right place to me; those steps are going
through a specific process, the package review process, and reading
proventester instructions isn't a part of that at all. It'd feel very
jarring, to me, to have it stuck into those steps.

I think it'd probably fit better in the preamble before step 1. Perhaps
after the paragraph 'As a Contributor, you should...' we add a paragraph
explaining that as a packager you will automatically be given
proventester privileges, a short explanation of the proventester
concept, and a link out to the proventester page requesting that you
read those instructions.

Also, what do we do with existing packagers? Send a mail out to
devel-announce announcing that everyone gets to be a proventester and
requesting everyone read the instructions? Future proventester
announcements to be CCed to devel-announce?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey