Firewall

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Dec 6 19:20:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 08:09:29PM +0100, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> I can see the following primary reasons to have a firewall:
>       * Enforcing a sysadmin-set (system-wide or site-wide) policy.
>         "No, you will not run any bittorrent client on the company's
>         computer".
>
>       * A "speed bump" that requires an independent action to prevent
>         unintentionally opening up a service.
>
>         "You have started $server, and it accepts connections from the
>         whole internet.  Here's your chance to think about this again.
>         Do you want to open the port?"

The question implies some sort of GUI pop-up. More likely is the incidental
installation of something. Does Gnome still pull in Apache for peer-to-peer
filesharing? Or some other package misconfigured to listen when it
shouldn't. Installing a firewall by default contributes to defense in depth
at relatively little cost.

>       * ZOMG WE NEED A FIREWALL
>         "I can't use this Linux thing, my bank requires me to run an
>         antivirus and a firewall."

And don't underestimate that need -- more places than banks have similar
requirements.

> Are there other reasons?

Programs like fail2ban use the packet filter to block aggressive brute-force
attempts. But I don't think any of them require an existing configuration of
some sort -- they just do their own thing on top of whatever is there.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>