Firewall

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Mon Dec 6 20:01:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 02:56:19PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 14:55 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > seth vidal (skvidal at fedoraproject.org) said:
> > > Bittorrent won't work through many/most wireless routers unless they are
> > > not natted and/or not explicitly configured.
> > >
> > > what network games?
> > > Heck, what network games do we HAVE?
> > >
> > > what are the use cases of zeroconf-enabled apps that we're targetting?
> >
> > Zeroconf and IPP browse packets are both means of making priting less
> > of a giant pain to set up.
>
> ah, printing.
>
> Is there anything that's not last century?

  Yeah, general discovery.  From the top of my head:
- Pulseaudio sinks and sources
- libvirt instances for virt-manager
- VNC desktops for Vinagre
- local web pages (think SOHO router config page) for zeroconf
  enabled Webbrowsers like Epiphany
- remote disk management (udisks)
- local FTP sites and WebDAV shares shown in nautilus places

  And this is all blocked by default Fedora firewall settings (5353/udp).

--
Tomasz Torcz                "Funeral in the morning, IDE hacking
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl    in the afternoon and evening." - Alan Cox