Request for comment: Potential change to dist-git branch structure

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Dec 6 20:25:00 UTC 2010

On 12/04/2010 07:24 AM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
>> Also we would need to get a new fedpkg into the hands of all the
>> > developers that handles the new branchnames.  We could do a build
>> > that
>> > handles both the oldnames and the new and have it out and available
>> > for
>> > a reasonable period of time before we make the switch.
> Would it make sense to add functionality to fedpkg which checks if there
> exists configuration for remote branch tracking (i.e. local "f14"
> tracks remote "f14/master"), and if that's the case, print
> a warning (e.g. that it's recommended to delete the local branch and
> recreate/check it out again)? This won't help much for the "git pull"
> problem, but it may prevent some users from running into that problem
> in the first place, because they saw the warning earlier when switching
> branch or doing some other fedpkg operation.

It's possible.  The trick would be when to turn that warning on, because
we'd have to get the new fedpkg out and available for a reasonable
amount of time before we make the change to the repos, so it could wind
up warning people a week or more before any repo changes are made.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!