Firewall

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Mon Dec 6 22:34:42 UTC 2010

Dne 6.12.2010 21:06, seth vidal napsal(a):
> I'm confused - are any of the above intended to be used/available by
> anyone who is NOT experienced enough to know what iptables are and how
> to manage them? B/c I think it's a bit unlikely.

OK, so let's add (just what gets packaged in Fedora):

 * Empathy/Pidgin/gajim ... XMPP over Zeroconf for LAN
 * Gobby ... for connecting with collaborators over LAN (not sure
whether AbiWord and gedit-collaboration with similar functionality are
using Zeroconf or just plain XMPP over central server)
 * Pulseaudio sinks and servers ... most artists are poor in network
administration
 * DAAP servers (there is rhythmbox and mt-daapd already packaged, and I
plan to package forked-daapd) for sharing music over local network
 * seahorse (sharing web-of-trust over local network)
 * totem ... streaming for local network

Should I continue? Really, Seth, Bonjour was created by Apple as means
to make networking easy for normal people
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgMVjEJiHDM), so it should really work
for normal people without fiddling with firewall.

I have to admit, I am not completely happy with having no firewall per
default, but we should really do something about Zeroconf to really make
it work for normal people as much as bread toaster works for them.

Best,

Matěj