Firewall

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Dec 8 00:41:47 UTC 2010

<snip>
> > One thing is e.g notifications to users when some service/app requests
> > to open a port. First version won't have network zones yet, but he and
> > Dan Williams are working on that for the next generation which will then
> > basically allow it to let the user decide once for each
> > interface/connection what should happen with it and never be bothered
> > with it afterwards.
>
> ... but this seems absolutely wrong. The last thing we want is to be
> pestering the user with information they may not understand, and are not
> fully capable of acting on. Take the constant complaints about
> SETroubleshoot, or the constant mocking of Windows Vista's security popups,
> for example.

Actually, this is something that Desktop people can live with, as long
as the desktop has the final word on whether or not to display the
questions and how to present them (but that would allow us to answer the
simple questions of "are you at home" and "do you have want share your
dubious music/fleshy moving pictures when at the internet cafe").