Proposed package blocking due to FTBFS

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Dec 8 01:12:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 01:05:06 +0000
Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:

...snip...

> >   The
> > lists may be broken down by when they last did build.  With 3
> > exceptions, these 110 bugs are all still in NEW state as well, so
> > they haven't had much maintainer love in quite some time (6-18
> > months).
>
> All the Fedora bugzilla bugs assigned to you, ever:
> http://bit.ly/dTndTs
> A whole 73.
>
> Fedora Bugzilla bugs in NEW or ASSIGNED assigned to me:
> http://bit.ly/gBtVRP
> 810 bugs.
>
> When you deal with as many bugs as I (or some other people) do can you
> take executive decisions on blocking packages in newer revisions.

How about asking for help?
Co-maintainers on packages that get lots of bugs?
Have you considered training up some bugzappers to help triage your
components? They could at least work on de-duping abrt reports.

Lets try and get you help...

> I bet most of those packages are still functional, and fail to build
> due to some minor changes in the build system, or breakage in
> dependency libraries.

The ones he's refering to have not built since f12. It's a wonder if
they work at all. ;)

> <snip>
> > ModemManager-0.4-4.git20100720.fc14 [u'631152 NEW'] (build/make)
> > dcbw NetworkManager-openvpn-0.8.1-1.fc14 [u'631111 NEW']
> > (build/make) dcbw,choeger,huzaifas,steve
> > NetworkManager-vpnc-0.8.1-1.fc14 [u'631194 NEW'] (build/make) dcbw
>
> And I'm guessing this list didn't get read by humans either.

You are refering to the wrong list.

That was a list of all things that don't currently build right now in
rawhide. The proposed block list was much smaller and contained things
that have not been built since f12.

> Feel free to insert here complaints about how the Red Hat bugzilla is
> slow, bad at reporting, and that abrt reports with missing
> attachments, poor backtraces and no support for tools like GNOME
> Bugzilla's simple-dup-finedr aren't helping us keep the bug count
> down.

I'm intrigued. Can we modify 'simple-dup-finder' to work on our
bugzilla? Any docs or pointers to what it does?

...snip...

kevin