ABRT opt-out (was Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo meeting)

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Thu Dec 9 09:38:33 UTC 2010

> 18:53:17 <ajax> i've heard a modest amount of complaints that abrt is doing more harm than good
> 18:53:53 <ajax> along multiple axes, but in particular it's simply too much data for apps like firefox and evo for maintainers to respond to
> 18:54:22 <ajax> i don't have any particular suggestions for this (well, i do, but i'll be politic), but it's something i'd like to see discussed from the distro planning POV
> 18:54:44 <nirik> yeah, came up on the list recently again as well.
> 18:55:11 <vinzv> hi
> 18:56:15 <ajax> is this something people want to talk about here next week, or should it be more of a fedora-devel issue
> 18:56:38 <nirik> I did note that totem and rhythumbox (I can't spell that to save my life) have the vast majority of bastens bugs.
> 18:57:23 <nirik> I wonder if we could get abrt to have a maintainer opt out thing that would be easy to change by maintainers?
> 18:57:35 <nirik> right now it's blacklist is in the package itself.
> 18:58:18 <nirik> or if we could have them file in another place. ;(

ABRT already looks up for the duplicate backtraces. Wouldn't it be the
easiest way to add some special keyword such as "abrtcatchall" or
something and if ABRT found an non-CLOSED bug with this keyword it would
append a new backtrace to the bug instead of opening a new one. This
should be fairly simple to implement. Of course ABRT would not append a
duplicate backtrace that is already added to the bug.

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb