ABRT opt-out (was Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo meeting)

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Thu Dec 9 12:27:59 UTC 2010

On 12/09/2010 01:08 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 12/09/2010 09:59 AM, Jiri Moskovcak wrote:
>> Just a wild idea - ABRT detects the dupes even locally so we can make
>> ABRT to allow reporting the bug to bz only if it happened more then once
>> (or some other threshold):)
>
> Dont we loose hard to catch odd ball bugs if that's implemented?
>
> JBG

yes, but those bugs are usually the reason why maintainers are
complaining about ABRT.. reporter doesn't know how to reproduce, devel
doesn't know either so the bug stays open until the release EOL without
any progress and both maintainer and reporter are just frustrated they
had to spend time on it...

on the other hand I agree that silencing ABRT is not a way to go, I'd
rather see some ideas/hints of how to improve the reports for specific
packages so devels are willing to look at them...

e.g.: If evo is added to blacklist without any hints how to make ABRT
reports usable for evo (yes I have few and they should be in F15), then
it will just stay in the blacklist forever and nothing gets improved..
and after some time we'll have 99% of the packages blacklisted because
it's just sooo convenient ...