[Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Steve Traylen steve.traylen at cern.ch
Fri Dec 10 20:25:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Mamoru Tasaka
<mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote, at 12/11/2010 02:00 AM +9:00:
>>>
>>> Indeed some examples/ directory contains some executable scripts
>>> which are useful to understand what the package can do.
>>> I think "%doc files must not have executable permissions" must be
>>> reverted.
>>>
>> To my mind, if you have examples that you want to be runnable by the user
>> and you want them to not have to perform chmod 0755 to achieve that, you'd
>> also want rpm to ensure that the dependencies for those examples are
>> installed.
>
> So, when a package
> - contains some example scripts
> - the packager thinks that such scripts are useful and many people actually
>  want to execute them
> - but such scripts need additional dependencies
> then the packager actually may want to add additional dependencies.
>
> So
> - Loosen the guideline to "%doc files should not add "too much" additional
>  dependency"
> - If executing %doc scripts want some "large" additional dependency, move such scripts
>  to somewhere else (out of /usr/share/doc, e.g. %_libdir/%name/examples),
>  or create subpackage like %name-examples
> ?
> (By the way I think in most cases additional dependencies are actually
>  not needed)

/usr/share/doc contains documents for reading and part of learning may
well include
reading example scripts, leave them there for reading.

If you have a script that should actually be executable as installed
on the system
then move it to /usr/bin and if sensible put it in an -examples sub package.

You can go either further and say that /usr/share/doc must be
readable. e.g including a .tex file
is bad practise but a .pdf make sense.
Steve.

> Regards,