noexec on /dev/shm

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Mon Dec 13 03:49:27 UTC 2010

How did /dev/shm get noexec in Fedora 15 rawhide?
   $ grep /dev/shm /proc/mounts
   tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
   $ grep -srl noexec /etc
   /etc/alternatives/ld
   /etc/fstab   ## derived from /proc/mounts
   /etc/mtab    ## derived from /proc/mounts

This is a change from Fedora 14, and I cannot find documentation.
The only 'noexec' that I can find in the source to systemd-15
is two mentions in units/var-{lock,run}.mount.

As a site administrator, how can I change the default to omit 'noexec'?
As a project leader, how can I get my project's programs working again
if I do not have the privileges of a site administrator?

The project is a database system that creates and dlopen()s
plugins on-the-fly, for better performance on ["long-running"] queries.
We like the speed of creat+write+close+open+read+mmap on /dev/shm.
If /dev/shm and /tmp both become off limits, then what is
the recommended replacement location?