noexec on /dev/shm

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Dec 14 14:08:10 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Tomasz Torcz <tomek at pipebreaker.pl> said:
>   We saw it includes /dev, /dev/shm etc.  Is there any *reasonable* need
> to mount sysfs somewhere else than /sys. Or /dev with mode other than 755?
> Those all directories are mounted _identically_ on every Linux distribution
> down here.  Why pollute fstab with repeated lines on million machines?

What is the advantage to making some mounts not listed in the file with
all the other mounts?  It isn't like /etc/fstab is a hundred lines or
anything; it is a standard config file that predates Linux.  All mounts
are listed there until systemd decided to override it (without any
warning or documentation).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>