noexec on /dev/shm

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Dec 14 15:50:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, Tomasz Torcz wrote:

>  We saw it includes /dev, /dev/shm etc.  Is there any *reasonable* need
> to mount sysfs somewhere else than /sys. Or /dev with mode other than 755?
> Those all directories are mounted _identically_ on every Linux distribution
> down here.  Why pollute fstab with repeated lines on million machines?

Because the system is meant to be changable by people. What if 20 years ago
people had harcoded /usr and /var because they knew best? Things change
over time and the unix philosphy is to allow that.

The other thing is that options where possible should be in human readable
format to make understanding and changing it easier. /etc/fstab sure beats
some hardcoded binary.

You are reversing the logic. Keep the system flexible and transparent.

The less we put hardcoded inside the kernel, initrd, pivot root, dracut,
linuxrc or systemd the better. It is easier to change a config line then
to recompile software. Don't assume you can speak for everyone with your
use cases.

>  Original problem could be solved by configuring some scratch
> tmpfs in /mnt/scratch or somewhere else.

the original problem i think was more "I dont understand why my fstab
seems to be acting up".

The fstab file itself provides valuable documentation of implicit values. Even
if I never change it, I use it.

Paul