Orphaning system-auto-death

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Dec 16 17:54:39 UTC 2010

On 12/16/2010 06:43 PM, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 18:33 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>>>

>>> it would mean we'd have to be able/willing to push new metadata out to
>>> the base repo so that the repo could be used at all for future installs.
>> Not necessarily -  Yum could simply issue a warning and continue to
>> work, yum could have a --disable-expiration-warnings option, ...
>>
>> There are many possibilities
>
> Rather than push the issue onto the user,
I don't think this is "pushing the issue onto the user". I'd consider
this to be warning them about "you might be doing something unwise".

> I think the right solution
> would be for the "fedora" repo definition to have an option
> "updated_by=updates" that causes yum not to check its expiration when
> the "updates" repo is also enabled.
Yes, this would also be an alternative, except that one also would have
to take users into account who run "plain DVD Fedora w/o updates" and
use-cases which run entirely off-line.

Ralf