Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 10:22:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:21:27 +0100, Ralf wrote:

> On 12/16/2010 03:35 PM, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to propose a small(ish) change to how updates to Fx and Fx-1 work.
> >
> > Currently we have to wait until package gets to stable for it to appear
> > in buildroot. IMO this goes against the whole "testing" part of
> > updates-testing. I'd like for packages to appear in buildroot as soon as
> > they are in updates-testing. Reasoning:
> >
> >   * Building deps is part of testing. If anything fails ->  package
> >     should be withdrawn from testing and not pushed.
> >
> > There are a few corner-cases I could think of where this approach could
> > cause a bit of headaches, but in those cases even current process
> > wouldn't help us much IMO.
> >
> > Any opinions on this?
>
> +1, I had proposed somethings similar long time ago, but it was shot
> down, then.

-1 to test-updates entering the buildroot automatically. It would break
the buildroot too often (think of ABI/API breaks and packaging mistakes)
and reduce the predictability of builds. We would be building against
untested packages, often unknowingly.

+1 to some way of automating koji buildroot overrides (perhaps based
on FAS group membership such as provenpackagers) in order to remove
the releng bottleneck.

Is koji capable of doing buildroot overrides based on repo inheritance?
That means, it would populate a new initially empty repo with updates-testing
candidate builds for a new tag and construct a buildroot from multiple
repos, the ordinary dist-fX-build buildroot plus the temporary repo.