Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Dec 17 18:34:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 18:32 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> * we are building packages against the known-to-be-broken package

The old package is already in stable.  We're not doing additional harm
by building against it unless the "breakage" is a regression that
affects the building of dependent packages.  At most, we waste the
effort of performing the build.

> whose
> replacements already are waiting in updates-testing.

> * we are building packages against packages in updates, which are known
> to be replaced with the versions from updates-testing.

The point is that is not true!  A significant fraction of builds in
updates-testing do not go to stable because some problem is found with
them.  Unfortunately, the data at
https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/517 do not tell us this fraction.
I have added a comment there requesting better data.

--
Matt