Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 11:05:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 18:32:15 +0100, Ralf wrote:

> > +1 to some way of automating koji buildroot overrides (perhaps based
> > on FAS group membership such as provenpackagers) in order to remove
> > the releng bottleneck.
>
> I am learning you are keen on more bureaucracy ;)

Nonsense. The current releng procedure is bureaucracy and a bottle-neck.
(How often does releng reject koji buildroot override requests?)

I'm in favour of permitting packagers to do the right thing themselves.
That is to let them do the full process themselves, but _on demand_ only:
 - announce the intention of breaking the ABI/API
 - prepare builds
 - make available updates candidates in the buildroot on demand
 - rebuild dependencies if necessary
 - be able to withdraw buildroot overrides, too
 - push the full set of pkgs to the updates system

The difference to the infamous dumping ground is that packagers don't
lose control and can decide whether and when to break the buildroot.