Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Dec 20 18:15:23 UTC 2010

On 12/19/10 10:10 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 12:05:09 +0100
> Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Nonsense. The current releng procedure is bureaucracy and a
>> bottle-neck. (How often does releng reject koji buildroot override
>> requests?)
>
> Not sure. I haven't been subscribed to the list too long...
>
>> I'm in favour of permitting packagers to do the right thing
>> themselves. That is to let them do the full process themselves, but
>> _on demand_ only:
>>  - announce the intention of breaking the ABI/API
>>  - prepare builds
>>  - make available updates candidates in the buildroot on demand
>>  - rebuild dependencies if necessary
>>  - be able to withdraw buildroot overrides, too
>>  - push the full set of pkgs to the updates system
>>
>> The difference to the infamous dumping ground is that packagers don't
>> lose control and can decide whether and when to break the buildroot.
>
> Yeah. I suggested that we allow any package maintainers to do overrides
> in one of the last rel-eng meetings, but it didn't seem to go over too
> well.
>
> I think the perception is that maintainers may work from some common
> wiki page or the like and could forget to untag their builds or add
> something when it's not a good idea to do so. :(
>
> I'd like to see it expand to provenpackagers or at least try and find
> several more folks willing to process the requests. Rex is doing almost
> all of them these days and we could really use more folks with
> different timezones, etc.
>
> kevin

I think a combination of allowing maintainers to do the tagging
themselves, but with an automated system to automatically purge the
overrides, and to prevent updates from going public that were built with
things that are not public (or the same level of public; testing vs
stable), would be acceptable.

In my experience, maintainers tend to be "fire and forget" kind of people.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!