[packager interface suggestion] Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Dec 21 18:02:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 16:45 +0000, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 11:24 -0500, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 16:15 +0000, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > it would seem to make more sense, to me, to configure bodhi to re-try
> > > the build, with updates-testing repo enabled, if a buildrequires for a
> > > build that's been submitted to updates-testing cannot be satisfied in
> > > the initial run. i.e., implement the use of the fallback repo in bodhi,
> > > not in yum.
> >
> > How would that work?  I thought a build had to be completed before it
> > could be added to a bodhi update.  And maintainers might wish to test a
> > package against dependencies in updates-testing without being ready to
> > push the new package to updates-testing.  Not to mention that bodhi has
> > to figure out whether a given failure was due to a missing
> > BuildRequires.
>
> it probably makes more sense with s/bodhi/koji. =)

Yes.  But then we need a notion of "submitting a build to
updates-testing" in koji to enable the automatic fallback, and at that
point it's almost as easy for the maintainer to build against
updates-testing explicitly.  Either variant of the approach has the
danger though that because a build needs one thing from updates-testing,
it will end up getting something else from updates-testing that the
maintainer didn't expect.

--
Matt