What drives RPM Provides for shared libraries?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Dec 22 14:49:01 UTC 2010

> Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> writes:
> > One possibility is to keep the upstream created symlinks and add the
> > necessary provides manually in the spec.
>
> Right offhand that seems less magic than the ELF-hacking alternatives.
> However, how do I get the conditional "(64bit)" property on the Provides
> items?  I hope there's a better way than #ifarch'ing for all the known
> 64-bit arches ...

what I'd actually recommend is that you explain to upstream that just
creating symlinks isn't really the right thing to do, and have them sort
out their build system to create duplicate libraries with the correct
internal soname. It's really not right to just symlink them. The
internal soname of the library really ought to match the filename.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey