noexec on /dev/shm

Thu Dec 23 17:11:46 UTC 2010

On 12/22/2010 12:56 PM, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 07:16:21PM -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>> This is from Paul Davis, the main architect of Jack (I forwarded him
>> your post):
>>
>> ----
>> this isn't exactly correct.
>>
>> in /dev/shm on linux we have:
>>
>>      (a) unix-domain sockets for non-RT communication with the server
> Perhaps these could become abstract domain sockets.

Could you explain a bit perhaps? I'm not familiar with them... (or maybe
you have a url I could surf to?)

Anyway, the main concern re: the subject  of this thread is:

 >   (b) FIFOs for RT wakeups (this could use semaphores now)
 > we do care about the performance of (b)

These have to be very fast as they are used for waking up the next
client in the round robbin transfer of control between jackd and its
clients (and that's why they are in /dev/shm).

-- Fernando