noexec on /dev/shm

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Thu Dec 23 17:32:39 UTC 2010

drago01 píše v Čt 23. 12. 2010 v 18:26 +0100:
> Well /tmp should be mounted tmpfs anyway (I have been doing this for
> years and it is working just fine).
> tmp isn't a persistent storage so it makes a lot of sense, and it is
> *not* a dumping ground for giant files (apps that try to do that are
> just broken).
Is there any specific reason to consider applications that store great
files to /tmp broken?

In fact, historically the purpose of /tmp is _exactly_ the opposite.
For example, sort(1) can be used to sort very large files.  Small inputs
are kept and stored in memory, large inputs use temporary files in /tmp.
The _whole point_ of using /tmp in this case is that it can be stored
larger data than what the virtual memory subsystem (or, perhaps, the
address space) can handle.  If /tmp becomes tmpfs, this useful property
of /tmp disappears.
	Mirek