noexec on /dev/shm

Casey Dahlin cdahlin at redhat.com
Sat Dec 25 16:51:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 09:11:46AM -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On 12/22/2010 12:56 PM, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> >On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 07:16:21PM -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> >>This is from Paul Davis, the main architect of Jack (I forwarded him
> >>your post):
> >>
> >>----
> >>this isn't exactly correct.
> >>
> >>in /dev/shm on linux we have:
> >>
> >>     (a) unix-domain sockets for non-RT communication with the server
> >Perhaps these could become abstract domain sockets.
>
> Could you explain a bit perhaps? I'm not familiar with them... (or
> maybe you have a url I could surf to?)

Basically, you put a \0 in front of the path when you bind the socket. So, for
example, bind to "\0/jack/socket". Yes, that looks weird, but it works. The
socket will not appear anywhere in the filesystem, but can still be opened by
using that wonky path from anywhere. When no longer referenced the socket will
simply disappear.

Here's a link, though it takes awhile to get to the point:
http://blog.eduardofleury.com/archives/2007/09/13/

--CJD