SSD support in Anaconda/F14

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Sun Dec 26 13:41:33 UTC 2010

Hi

I was wondering what the state of SSD support was. I upgraded a
netbook with a SSD and took the defaults from F14's live installable
USB disk's Anaconda.

The SSD comes unformatted, it's a OCZ Vertex 2E (SATA II) which
apparently has TRIM capability.

I wondered how I can tell if this hardware is being used to its full
potential, if the TRIM capability is being used and if the partitions
are aligned as they ought to be.

The output of sfdisk -l doesn't make it obvious if the disk is using
4k sectors or is aligned in any particular way. Googling reveals lots
of conflicting information... so any ideas?

-Cam

PS. output of sfdisk -l:

[root at newt ~]# sfdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 7297 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

   Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *      0+     63-     64-    512000   83  Linux
/dev/sda2         63+   7297-   7234-  58101760   8e  Linux LVM
/dev/sda3          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
/dev/sda4          0       -       0          0    0  Empty

Disk /dev/dm-0: 3500 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature
 /dev/dm-0: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found

Disk /dev/dm-1: 611 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature
 /dev/dm-1: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found

Disk /dev/dm-2: 3120 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature
 /dev/dm-2: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found