Moving lspci and setpci from /sbin to /usr/sbin?

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Mon Feb 1 16:01:27 UTC 2010

On Friday 29 January 2010 06:35:21 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 01/28/2010 04:06 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes.
> >>
> >> The pciutils are valuable tools when trying to recover from situations
> >> when "things go utterly wrong".
> >
> > So what difference does it make where they are (e.g. why do you say this
> > is a bad idea)?
>
> Consider having /usr on a separate partition and /usr failing to mount
> at bootup and times at system bootup, during which /usr is not yet
> available, because it has not been mounted, yet.
>
> These scenarios are the key scenarios to separate those parts of a
> distros which need to be considered "essential" (have to go into /lib,
> /bin, /sbin) and which to be consider "non-essential".

right, the point is lspci wont work without /usr, but can you give me any real
world scenario where not having working pciutils on system with not mounted
/usr can make any trouble that you won't be able to mount /usr without it?

> > They don't work without other stuff in /usr, so they
> > should be in /usr.
>
> Rsp. this "other stuff currently in /usr" needs to move, too.

> >> Well, a separate /usr-partition has never worked on RH-based distros.
> >
> > I beg to differ; I've been using a separate /usr (mounted read-only
> > except during maintenance) on RHL, RHEL, and Fedora for at least 13
> > years.
>
> Really? The situation definitely has improved over times, but I recall
> times, when not even "rpm" was able to run without /usr.
>
> Consider taking out /usr from your fstab and to check how far you can get.
> With /sbin/lspci you will be able to check your pci setup, with
> /usr/sbin/lspci, you wouldn't.
>
> Should setpci be used somewhere in bootup scripts, you likely won't be
> able to boot up your system at all.

and because libpci is in /usr for a long time and there was not any complain
so far, it probably is not used