FC12: Hidden files in /usr/bin/*

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Tue Feb 2 09:28:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 14:00 -0500, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 01:38:13PM -0500, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >
> > 1) The present packages need to be fixecd.  Sounds like fipscheck, hmaccalc,
> > and openssh.  They are violating the FHS which is prohibited by the
> > Guidelines.  Ralf, have you opened bugs?
> >
> > 2) We need to decide where to place the files.  I don't know what uses them,
> > so I'm not entirely certain about this.  Here's some suggestions:
> >   * If each binary checks itself then %{_libdir}/%{name}/$PROGNAME.hmac
> >     seems reasonable.
> >   * If there are one of more programs (fipscheck?) that check the integrity
> >     of other binaries then we probably want a directory structure that is
> >     namespaced by itself and allows that other program to lookup the
> >     checksum for the binary.  Something like:
> >     %{_libdir}/hmac%{_bindir}/$PROGNAME.hmac
> >     %{_libdir}/hmac%{_sbindir}/$PROGNAM2.hmac
> >

> Caught j-rod and pjones on IRC who had the following insights:
>
> * Each binary is supposed to perform an integrity check of itself when it
>   starts.  So each binary needs to be able to find its hmac file.
> * hazy recollection is that fipscheck is meant to check the integrity of any
>   binray with checksums.  So we do need to use a directory structure that
>   fipscheck can use to find the checksums.
>
> If I could get some input from the people who actually deal with fipscheck
> and this standard, that this is the way forward, I'll write up the
> Guidelines.

I am sorry, but I do not see a real need for special guideline for the
fipscheck checksums. The policy where these checksums should/will be
placed should be decided by the fipscheck package itself. Of course I
agree that the files must be moved from the current place to a
subdirectory under %{_libdir} especially for the checksums of the
binaries in %{_bindir} and %{_sbindir}.

There is still a slight problem with the library checksums especially
for the libgcrypt library which currently resides in /%{_lib}. This
means that if it looks for the checksum in %{_libdir}/fipscheck the /usr
might not be mounted during the checksum verification. The question is
whether the checksum in a hidden file in /%{_lib} violates FHS - in my
opinion it does not as this is still non-executable arch-dependent file
or whether we need to create a fipscheck subdirectory in /%{_lib} as
well.
--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb