--host=i386-redhat-linux-gnu --target=i686-redhat-linux-gnu ???

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Feb 2 10:37:00 UTC 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Owen Taylor (otaylor at redhat.com) said:
>> Looking at the build logs for F-12, e.g.:
>>
>> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/glib2/2.22.4/1.fc12/data/logs/i686/build.log
>>
>> we seem to have things set up to run configure as:
>>
>>  --build=i386-redhat-linux-gnu
>>  --host=i386-redhat-linux-gnu
>>  --target=i686-redhat-linux-gnu
>
> This comes from the rpm %configure macro, which hasn't changed:
>
>  ./configure --build=%{_build} --host=%{_host} \\\
>        --target=%{_target_platform} \\\

More precisely it comes from redhat-rpm-config which overrides rpm's own
%configure macro.

> %{_host} is set by the rpm package in the macros file, %{_build} defaults
> to the value of %{_host}. %{_target_platform} comes from --target on
> the command line, plus the usual vendor/OS bits
>
> --target is what is set by rpm/mock. I think it defaults to %{_host}
> if it's not otherwise specified, but we specify it when building for i686,
> as we could theoretically still build i386 packages.

Yup, and all wonderfully mixed up - rpm's idea of --target is something
completely different from what auto*foo from this century thinks of it.
Dunno if it ever was really valid but certainly not anymore.

rpm >= 4.8.0 no longer sets the --target on %configure but that's been
masked by the redhat-rpm-config version of %configure. That's been fixed
too as of today.

 	- Panu -