Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Feb 2 16:41:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 10:28 -0600, Adam Miller wrote:
>     Now, we come to the part that I feel is going to be viewed as a
> touchy subject by many..... Why are there words like "letting" and
> "allow" being thrown around so often? I understand there are
> guidelines and policies for certain things of technical or legal
> nature in Fedora, but it feels a little like there is an attempt here
> to dictate how myself, as well as all others, spend their time
> contributing to The Fedora Project.

In my mind this comes into play where the interests of one sig and
another conflict as to how a package or configuration should perform.
When there are more than one group trying to modify the behavior of a
package, or asking the maintainer to change it in some way, and these
modifications conflict with eachother, how is the maintainer to decide?
How is FESCo to decide if it is brought to them for moderation?  How is
the board to decide if it gets escalated up to that level?

When viewing these discussions what strikes me is that none of it really
applies until you have conflict.  Without conflict there is no reason to
worry, but when there is conflict, some general help in deciding who
gets the change and who doesn't is welcome.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!